Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Our Practice
Working with those injured in serious accidents and working off of a contingency fee basis, basically means you pay nothing to hire an attorney. If we don’t win your personal injury case and we don’t recover a settlement that you deserve, you don’t pay a dime!
What should you do after a car accident?
1. Call 911 – Let them know where the accident occurred and if anyone was injured.
2. Exchange Info – Exchange basic info with the other driver(s) and any witness info as well. Be courteous and never admit fault to the other driver(s), or to the police.
3.Take Pictures – Take as many photos as you can of the accident and damage if possible.
4.Take Notes - You’ll probably forget details as the time passes, so writing down important info and info that is seemingly unimportant, may turn out to be valuable in supporting your case.
5.Contact an Attorney – A Personal Injury Attorney can help you with any intimidating insurance companies and gain compensation for any injuries and damage incurred due to the accident.
What is Negligence?
In order to recover damages for your personal injury case, we have to prove that the responsible party was negligent. This means that they were knowingly responsible and could have prevented said accident from occurring. This can be any of the following:
- Their Duty: The responsible party had a specific duty to behave a certain way. For example, someone has a duty to operate their vehicle, or machinery in a safe and responsible manner.
- A Breach: An individual who chooses not to operate their vehicles in a safe manner, have breached their duty.
- Damages: Suffering damages means you have incurred injuries to yourself in an accident and, or property damage in the process. The responsible party must have been the cause of these damages.
- Causation: The responsible party must be proven through evidence, that they are responsible for your injuries and damages. This can be done numerous ways and often a physician will be necessary to determine your cause of injuries.
Why Seek Treatment from a Doctor?
Receiving medical attention for your injuries, is not only important for your recovery and well being, but also for your case. To recover the maximum amount of damages possible for your case, your costs and treatments from a doctor are factored in to that equation and will impact how much you will be entitled to in return.
This may include:
- Other Medical Procedures Necessary for Recovery
How long do I have to file a claim?
The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim is 2 years from the date of the accident. If you were injured by city transportation, or property owned by the city, then you will have a 6 month window to file your claim with an attorney.
How should I go about choosing the right attorney?
There is no definitive way to choose an attorney, but traditionally, word of mouth was and is a strong and respected way of finding an attorney. You can even speak to a general practice attorney and they can refer you to a personal injury attorney, or any other attorney that practices in the areas you are looking for.
You can even check out attorney rankings and feedback on sites like Avvo, which provide attorney rankings and client feedback. Through research online, or by word of mouth, you can learn if the attorney you’re seeking can be found in reputable sources. After your initial research, you should call and set up a meeting with the attorney to see if they are the perfect fit for you and your needs.
What should I expect to talk about, while meeting with an attorney?
The law pertaining to your case will be fully explained in detail and the attorney will ensure you fully understand what is being talked about. You will discuss any attorney fees pertaining to the case, and agreements, possible length of time of the case, the extent of your participation and anything pertinent to your case.
You will also need to go over in detail the circumstances of your accident, or situation. This means any injuries sustained, prior injuries, medical care (past,present and future), witnesses, scene descriptions to the best of your abilities, etc. Every detail can help and have a significant impact on your case.
Have more to ask? Don’t hesitate to give us a call, or fill out our contact form, for a FREE consultation! Balali Law is always ready to provide you with the very best in client-attorney services.